Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Healthy You Challenge Check In

Wow, I think I am a tad ornery these days. :) Sorry! After much thought, I have decided to take a week off the scale. Some may say that is a total cop-out (it is), but just thinking about weighing in today completely stressed me out yesterday (that is where I got ornery and down on myself).

Here are a few things that I know about me:
* I need to lose weight
* I tend to be a perfectionist
* If I can't be a near perfectionist at something, I quit
* I was no where near a perfectionist this past weekend, but I am not going to quit!

So after analyzing how I am wired, I decided to take a week off the scales. It was a fun weekend with my friends, but I could have and should have ate better. I need to consider steps I can take to do better next time an event like this occurs (which happen all the time because that is called "having a life!"). I have a strong tendency to cycle through bad eating behaviors. I already ate and had fun (without thinking of the ramifications). But, I don't have to complete the cycle (i.e. weigh, see that I gained "stupid" weight, binge and not even consider eating healthy or exercising for an extended period of time). That won't help me at all. So, I am going to regroup and start again, but without the lapse of time in between (something good has to come from this experience).

Since I am coming clean, I have to admit, I binged when I was feeling down yesterday and this morning. I ate McDonald's for breakfast and candy bars (yes, plural) last night. But, I will keep trying because I know and need to apply the following in my life: It isn't the last step I took that makes me a failure, it is not taking the NEXT one to fix it.

5 comments:

Beth @ Kitchen Minions said...

You're right, there is no way to be a perfectionist at weight loss. It's not like alcoholism, where perfection is key. We can not abstain from eating. We all eat, we all get into situations that are less than ideal.

Anonymous said...

After reading this post I am pretty sure you are my soul sister! LOL I can so relate especailly on the perfect or to hell with it concept! You have got to keep at it as you plan to because I have to too!
XO
Angie

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Your last sentence says it all! Fun times with friends are a great part of life and those do include food (that's part of what makes it so festive!). It's how you handle the before and after that will get you through. Be GLAD you had such a great time with your friends!

Lisa said...

i agree with Cammy (as usual!) ..be glad you enjoyed your time with your friends and that's it. That's it. You had fun with your friends, now you need to just get some healthy stuff into you so you will start to feel better about yourself and your insides will feel better too.

imagine it playing out this way next time: a great time out with friends where you are just going to enjoy yourself and the company you are keeping KNOWING that the next day, you will feed your body good things while you smile over the good memories:)

you can do this!

xo

Heather said...

I definitely am a perfectionist. thats one reason why I failed so many times in the past at losing weight. when I was back in college I met with a nutrionist and while it took me years later to really begin to lose the weight, she had identified me as a perfectionist then and told me that for me to lose the weight and keep it off, I needed to forgive myself for the things that i did that were mistakes, accidents, etc. and just move on. its harder than it sounds which is why it took me years to really understand it, but once I was able to move on and not focus on every thing I ate that I shouldn't that I could let go of the bad feelings and guilt. I had a lot of guilt over things that I shouldn't have eaten that only led me to eat more. so my advice to you is to enjoy what you eat and when you eat something you feel you shouldnt have or overate,etc. just let it go. we all do it, and we all can still maintain healthy lifestyles anyways. it doesnt mean that you failed or that you wont lose weight or all the weight you have lost will come back on. trust me - I make at least 1 mistake on a weekly basis and yet I still have been successful. the key is just to let it go. realize what you did isnt ideal, but that its ok and look forward.