Friday, June 12, 2009

Aunt **** Is Fat

So, I stopped by my sister's house to visit last night. There were a lot of people there and we had a lot of fun talking. My niece was upstairs playing, but was finally coaxed down for dinner after everyone left. Randomly, my niece said, "Mom, I heard you talking about how fat Aunt **** was." I, of course, just sat there acting calm. But inside, I was wondering if I really was the topic of conversation before I walked in. My poor sister was so embarrassed and tried to get my niece to let it go, but being a true five year old who knew she was right, she wasn't going to let it drop. Later, my sister sent me a text saying how sorry she was and that she never said that.

But, here is the real rub. A year after my first nephew was born, I was, once again, trying to lose weight. I was reading a book, I believe it was Dr. Phil's weight loss book, that proposed I write down some reasons why I wanted to lose weight. One of the first reason was that I wanted to be able to play with my nieces and nephews. I also wrote that I wanted to lose weight before my nieces and nephews KNEW I was heavy. This was very important to me even when they were so young.

Well, last night it hit me again when my niece was talking (or should we say arguing with her mom). I have got to get a grip. I don't ever want my nieces and nephews to be embarrassed of me because of my weight (makes me wonder if they already have been). As they get older, it is just going to get worse. As bad as it hurt to hear my niece call me fat, I guess it is just another good motivator to lose the weight.

2 comments:

Heather said...

that is really rough - no one wants to know that people are taking about their weight. use it to fuel you to keep on going and make the best choices you can so that you will hear "aunt **** looks so healthy and happy!"

Rebeca said...

I think that your niephews will first and foremost view you as someone who obviously adores them and is working so hard to set a good example for them! I think that is far more important than anything else!

I also think that 1.6 lbs is flipping amazing... you don't know how much I'd love to see numbers like that on my scale! Loosing weight too fast means that it's easier for it to come back on though, 1-2 lbs is perfect. Keep at it! You're inspiring me girl!