Thursday, March 5, 2009

Work = Emotionally Eating

Okay, so I am still struggling! I can't believe this - I usually am better than this (at least in the beginning). So, I posted my last blog and was m-o-t-i-v-a-t-e-d. I wrote down everything I ate, I drank tons of water, I quit eating at 7 p.m. and I exercised. The next day, I woke up at 4 a.m. and did cardio for 36 minutes walking 2.22 miles. I got to work an hour early and was feeling great. And then . . . work happened. This seems to happen all the time. I didn't go to lunch (to busy) and just ate junk food. Lucky for me (dripping with sarcasm), I had to attend a retirement reception that afternoon for a co-worker so I ate brownies, rice krispies, and cake for my lunch and dinner. I ended up staying at work until midnight trying to catch up on work. But I left with a ton of stuff still on my desk that I need to deal with. :(

This morning, I didn't work out because I was to tired. I had to pick up some documents before I came into work so guess what I did? I stopped in at the grocery store next door and picked up reese's peanut butter eggs (6 pack) and a king size Symphony bar. I figured, why do good in the morning if I am just going to end up working all day and night and eat poorly. So I started early this morning! Terrible!

I must admit, I have done a bang-up job on my food binge today. And I would probably still be eating if I hadn't read some weight-loss blogs. They put everything into perspective for me. I wish I had more time to read blogs. I get so motivated when I read about other people's successes.

So, I need to get a grip. I have stopped eating for the night (one point for me). I keep thinking if I could catch up at work, I would have some control over my eating. I am realizing that my job really affects me emotionally. And I deal with it by emotionally eating. Hmm, I might need to write a future post about my job and my career history. It might help me draw some connections. But . . . I need to get back to work. Grrrr! However, does anyone have any suggestions to handle stress (specifically at work, if possible) without turning to food?

5 comments:

Beth @ Kitchen Minions said...

Way to go with stopping the eating spree. My nutritionist tells me that bad days happen, and we don't win/lose based on one day, it's a lot of days, so you didn't lose everything. Keeping up with healthy habits before and after are what matter! So good job!

Daria said...

I thought you could use a follower. I tried to follow your story, but I don't see it as an option. If you stop by and follow my blog, I'll be able to have a quick link to you.
Way to go on your success so far. The beginning is always the hardest part.

K @ Running Through Life said...

Ah yes, stress and emotional eating! Been there. Still do that! But good for you for knowing this and becoming aware of the problem. Good lucj!

Heather said...

do you stock your desk with some healthy snacks? work used to be hard for me too, and some days lunch wouldnt be enough (if I took one), and then I would eat snacks from our kitchen at work that dont contain healthy foods, rather m&ms, cookies, etc. But since I started stocking my desk with healthy snacks like almonds, luna bars, Kashi TLC crackers and such, I reach for those, and they are good for you and fill you up. I know what its like to be busy at work and it happens, but the more you can prepare yourself, the better you will do.

Actually the more I type this, the more I really cant emphasize preparation enough. for example, if you go to the retirement party and theres only unhealthy foods there, then eat beforehand. I used to feel stuck going into situations where I couldnt control food, and would use it as an excuse to continue to eat. but I would start eating beforehand or afterwards, and usually, most people dont even notice that you arent eating.

but you are doing great, and it just takes some real time to really get things to flow. I think it is amazing that you are waking up early to get your exercise in, so you doing so many things right, dont worry too much about the things you cant always control or the things that life throws at you.

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

We all have those weeks where we can't seem to get out of our own way. Maybe you could pack some healthy "emergency snacks" for work. Even a granola bar, while not healthy, is better than brownies. (Health-wise, not taste. *G*) Also, something that helped me was thinking of a quick trip to the grocery store as a life saving expedition, very serious and very, very necessary.